The Awakening

As I read Kate Chopin’s The Awakening,  I found that it is not merely a portrayal of New Orleans as a backdrop but also an exploration of feminism and resistance against patriarchal norms, deeply intertwined with its setting. Through various literary elements, Chopin crafts a narrative that exposes the constraints placed upon women in the late 19th century, through Edna Pontellier’s journey. 

One striking example is Edna Pontellier’s awakening to her own desires and identity. Her dissatisfaction with the traditional roles expected of women in her society is evident when she reflects, “She felt that her marriage, her very life, as she looked about at it, was utterly commonplace.” This dissatisfaction serves as a catalyst for her journey towards self-discovery and independence, challenging the patriarchal structure that sought to confine her and women in America. The city of New Orleans, with its rich tapestry of cultures and traditions, provides a fitting backdrop for Edna’s rebellion. The mingling of Creole and American societies in New Orleans mirrors the clashing expectations and norms Edna grapples with.

Chopin also employs symbolism to underscore the feminist themes in the novel. The sea, in particular, which can be associated with ambiguity and discomfort at times, becomes a powerful symbol of liberation, comfort, and warmth. As Edna immerses herself in the waters, she feels “the foamy salt water upon her lips,” symbolizing her desire for freedom from societal constraints, including her role as a mother and wife. After reading more about this literary work, I learned that the distaste for the role of the mother that is heavily experienced by characters like Edna contributed to the controversy around the book during its time of release, which further proves the strong feminist ideologies presented throughout the story and their direction against the current of patriarchal societal standards. 

The female characters in The Awakening also challenge patriarchal culture in their own ways. With her unapologetic pursuit of artistic expression, Mademoiselle Reisz defies societal expectations for women. She asserts, “I would give my life for my children, but I wouldn’t give myself.” Her commitment to her art exemplifies the sacrifices women were often required to make and the autonomy they yearned for. Additionally, Edna’s friendships with women like Adele Ratignolle and Mademoiselle Reisz demonstrate the complex relationships women had with one another in a patriarchal society. They serve as both sources of support and, in some cases, enablers of societal norms.

One Response to “The Awakening”

1. JGB says:

Isn’t it Edna who says, “I would give my life for my children, but I wouldn’t give myself”? Am I remembering this correctly?